20 Apr Care For The Injured
Care For The Injured
The following points should be covered on how to care for the injured after a careful review of your Emergency Response Plan.
Guide for Discussion
Determine the seriousness of the injury:
- Contact Emergency Response Team(s). Do not move the injured person.
- Get First Aid trained personnel assistance; ask them to help. Keep the injured person from standing.
- In case of bleeding—apply pressure to the wound. Do not use a tourniquet except in cases of excessive bleeding.
- If the injured person has stopped breathing, get someone who has been trained in CPR o help restore the breathing.
- Try to keep the injured person warm.
- Contact the supervisor immediately.
- Do not try to get the injured person to move if a fall is involved.
- Get any First Aid treatment that may be needed. Be sure you know the location(s) of the nearest First Aid kit on the job.
Other Items to be Aware of:
- Report all injuries—even minor ones may become major ones. Seek first aid for even minor injuries.
- Be sure the emergency telephone numbers and the location of the nearest cross street are posted in a conspicuous place on the job. Know them.
Additional Discussion Notes:
- Company Emergency Medical Plan including location of nearest telephone, 911 or other system, and nearest cross-street.
- Who is First Aid/CPR trained on the job? INSERT NAME
- The First Aid kit is kept where? INSERT LOCATION
- The Supervisory person to contact on all accidents/injuries is? INSERT NAME
Remember: Be sure to review the locations of First Aid kit(s) and emergency numbers on the jobsite.
NOTE: Always promote a discussion on any of the topics covered in the Tool Box Talks. Should any question arise that you cannot answer, don’t hesitate to contact your Employer.